Originally inhabited by the Turrbal Aboriginal people, the area known as Enoggera was named from the misspelling of the Aboriginal word, Euoggera, meaning 'place of water' or 'place of breeze'.
European settlement in the Enoggera area can be traced back to 1845. However, it was not until 1871 that the first school opened on Great Northern Road (now South Pine Road) to 26 students under the guidance of teacher, Mr John Chasely Towell. By the end of 1871, the average daily attendance at the school was 43 students.
The school was a social pivot for the community—concerts, dances and meetings were held in the school building and the grounds used for Sunday School picnics.
The original school building is now located at the Enoggera Memorial Hall.
With the district population increasing rapidly and rising school enrolments, it was deemed necessary to construct a new school building. On 2 September, 1916, the new school opened on the current site, built to cater for 305 students.